Friday 1 March 2013

Unit 1 Part C: research and review


Questionnaire for Sarah Evans, art director at www.artwithheart.org.uk
(author/actor 'Secret Diary of a Teenage Queer')

What inspired you to go into a career in performance art? How old were you when you became interested in performing arts?
When I was young my Mum had to work numerous jobs to send me to dance and drama lessons so from the age of 5 I was involved in performance. I went to ballet, tap, modern and jazz lessons until the age of 16 but at the age of 14 I had met a Drama teacher at a Saturday school who inspired me. She encouraged me to work hard and believe in myself. She made me feel that I could make my dream a reality. My drama teacher at high school was really unhelpful and uninspiring so if it hadn't been for those mentors outside school I don't know if I'd have had the courage to be where I am now. It took until I was in my early twenties to meet another person, a director who really gave me the courage to realise that I wasn't only a performer but I could use my skills to write and produce too.

What kind of training did you have?
I did GCSE drama, Theatre Studies A-level and then went on to do a BA Hons Media and Performance degree at Salford University.


How has your performing technique changed since you began?
It's changed a lot. I have always been interested and moved by Edward Bond's work. I first read his play 'Saved' when I was at school after coming across it in a library and knew from that moment that I'd found something I understood. I continued to be curious about his work and feel that his theories on drama have influenced me to become the artist I am today. I learnt about other theorist's work at college and university but it wasn't until I read some of Bond's work and was able to see him speak about drama that it all clicked into place for me. I cannot urge people enough to read his work and hear him speak.

How do you prepare for a performance? Do you have any warm ups, routines or rituals?
It usually involves me worrying and triple checking that all my props and costume are in the right place. I do a vocal and body warm up before I get in my costume but once I've checked everything I tend to just smile, remind myself of how lucky I am to be here, doing what I love and focus on the story. I always like to do a group hug with my team before the first performance. Oh, and I like to brush my teeth before a performance too!


What do you do if you forget your lines?
You should ALWAYS know your lines and I always make sure that I know them well enough that I can play music REALLY loudly and say my lines over the top of the music, in a different rhythm than the song. When you have to think about your lines you're acting, when you know them well enough to say them over music and can do something else at the same time that's when you can really be in the site, and in the drama. Don't get me wrong, I have forgotten them before but you should know your lines, your fellow actors lines and the story so well that you can improvise until you're back on track. When I get a script I NEVER highlight my lines because doing that focuses on what I'M saying and not what WE, and the STORY are saying.

What was your first performance job and what did it lead to?
I've worked in a few different forms so there are quite a few 'first' performances for me. Performing my own work pushed me more than anything else and gigging in stand up comedy lead me to write and perform much more freely and feel more comfortable putting more of myself into whoever I am playing.

As a not for profit organisation how to you finance your performances? Which organisations support you?
In the early days I funded myself. I worked hard in other jobs to fund performances, props etc and lived a very frills free life! Now that I have built a reputation for myself and my work I am thankful that it has led me to have my work funded by a few organisations. The largest and most recent being Arts Council England. Without funding from many sources the arts would be a very different place, and not in a good way! With funding being so hard to secure because money is so tight there is also a new wave of funding which, I haven't done myself but organisations are using more and more called 'crowdfunding'. You upload your bid to a site and the public can directly give to your idea to get it off the ground. It just shows you the power of the public and how much we all need arts to understand and challenge our world.

How do you develop your skills?
I work with a lot with different people who are skilled in similar and very different things. I talk a lot to others and attend workshops and meetings. Skill sharing and support from other artist is so important.

Do you have any tips for an aspiring young actor?
Believe in yourself. Take advise but only from people you trust, you value and who challenge you. Work hard. Be prepared for ups and downs. Only work for free if you're getting out the same as you're putting in. Enjoy it!

Thanks so much for your time.
No problem! Thank you for seeing 'The Secret Diaries of a Teenage Queer' :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great interview with Sarah Evans Demi, and a really good follow up from the review of her play as well. Sarah's replies to you are really realistic and positive which I think you will find really usefull. It illustrates really well the importance of hard work and dedication as well as showing how inportant it is to keep researching and learning about your chosen art form, in order to grow and develop your craft. Have you heard about Edward Bond's work has Sarah inspired you to find out more about him?
    Well done Demi this is a very stong element of your Unit 1 part C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great interview

    ReplyDelete