Tuesday 9 April 2013

Unit 1 Part B: Getting involved in the arts world – work experience


Unit 1 Part B

Getting involved in the arts world – work experience



As part of my work experience for the Gold Arts Award I have recently helped to run a pop up shop in Manchester for 5 weeks. The shop stocked handmade arts and crafts produced by over twenty local designers. Handmade items included paintings, jewellery, cards, soft toys, baby clothes, hanging wooden plaques, soaps and lotions, hand felted gifts, craft kits and embroidered books. I was thrilled to have my handmade greetings cards on display and even more thrilled to sell a few of them.

I helped to display the items and dress the window before the shop actually opened. I then worked alone in the shop for 15 hours per week over a period of five weeks and have found this to be a useful experience for me with respect to working in the creative arts.

As part of my work duties I have not only interacted with customers but also the artists and craftspeople who stocked the shop. I have learnt to see issues from all sides – that of the retailer whose aim it is to sell, of the designer who wishes to be portrayed in a positive light and who wants their creative story told, and of the customer who is hesitant to part with his or her money but who can be encouraged or persuaded by pointing out the uniqueness of each handmade item and the time and skill that has gone into its creation.

My job in the shop has been to get the customer to understand the lengthy processes taken to produce the handmade items and the labour-intensive techniques used. To be able to do this I have discussed at length with some of the designers the creative process involved in making their items. I have discovered that not only does a customer want to own a unique piece of work but also wants to know the story behind its production or even the story of the artists' journey to becoming a designer. If I have not known this information I have been able to improvise to an extent. For example, I knew that one of the artists lived on a narrow boat but did not know where she was currently moored and because her paintings are mostly of sheep I was able to apply a bit of creative thinking. This, in a way, is a form of improvisation which is a useful skill to have in the performing arts.

My work experience has helped me considerably when producing and attempting to sell my own greetings card designs. Being present in the shop has enabled me to offer my own story to any customer who shows an interest in my designs. One customer who had bought one of my cards when I was not actually present in the shop returned the next day especially to meet me. I found this flattering and it was extremely encouraging to hear the buyer's comments, giving me encouragement to create new designs. I have also made sure that I have given praise and compliments to other designers involved in stocking the shop.

I realise now that to work in retail involves a certain amount of performance skills. You have to come across as friendly, eager to hear the customers woes and problems, seem enthusiastic, repeat your lines to each customer as if it is the first time you have spoken them, make the customer feel comfortable, at home and relaxed, and above all to be persuasive without being pushy.

In addition, I have learnt basic time management skills as well as how to deal with cashing up sold items and improving or altering the shop layout. The experience has given me confidence especially as my work has been displayed next to that of established designers not to mention being bought by customers who did not realise that it had been created by a 15 year old.


2 comments:

  1. This account of your work experience realy show what a huge benefit it was to you. You have a great understanding of how to deal with customers, many people working in retail could learn a thing or two from your experiences! You are so right people want to feel as ease, not pressured and many really just want a chat. I agree that people buying arts and crafts, anything hand made want a back story to relay to their friends and families when their new purchacse is admired at home! sales is very much like a performance as is any customer facing role this is very well observed Demi. This will help you in any future employment I am sure. You have also gained a great deal from selling your own creations and recieving feedback from customers that will help you further develop. All in all your work experience was a huge success well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demi - all you need to do now for Unit 1 part b is....
    add evidence of your research into possable careers and training you can add links to college / uni websites where you have been looking at courses that you may like to study as a progression on from your level 2 course. You can also scan in leaflets, prospectus pages and workshop flyers that you find interesting and will aid your development.

    Finally you need to summerise all of your research and experiences explaining how it was influenced you and your creative development.

    ReplyDelete